Strategic Goal: Drive scientific and clinical innovation in medical physics to improve human health.
- Encourage and explore new applications of physics in medicine.
- Encourage research and development to advance medical physics and related professions.
- Be a catalyst for translating innovative medical physics to clinical applications.
- Improving the funding for medical physics research efforts.
- Strengthen the skills of medical physicists as leaders in innovation.
Strategic Goal: Enhance the value of AAPM membership experience and services.
- Develop and promote the highest quality medical physics standards and services.
- Support and collaborate with Chapters to enhance the overall value of AAPM.
- Provide high-quality online resources.
- Demonstrate value of medical physicists to administrators, clinicians and patients.
- Gain greater understanding of current and future member needs.
- Expand the membership of AAPM.
- Develop and maintain products and services to meet existing and potential member needs.
- Partner with outside organizations to provide a more cohesive and direct solution to member needs.
- Develop and maintain AAPM member access to insurance products and services pertaining to the professional practice of medical physics.
Strategic Goal: Promote leadership role of the organization and its members.
- Identify & cultivate potential leaders of the future for all mission areas of the AAPM.
- Develop healthcare leaders in multiple spheres of influence.
- Promote and collaborate as leaders on national and global standards for clinical practice and safety.
- Maintain and enhance AAPM's position as the leader in medical physics nationally.
- Maintain and enhance AAPM's position as a leader in medical physics globally.
Strategic Goal: Cultivate excellence in medical physics education.
- Foster the ongoing education and professional development of medical physicists throughout their career.
- Encourage high quality medical physics education and training offerings.
- Promote the dissemination of scientific, professional, clinical and technical information in medical physics.
- Promote continuous improvement in medical physics education, e.g., incorporation of current and relevant content and pedagogical approaches.
- Develop educational materials and methods to aid AAPM educators.
- Expand educational offerings in medical physics to non-medical physicists.
- Promote AAPM educational materials in the global context.
- Foster long-term international educational opportunities and collaborations.
Strategic Goal: Practice stewardship in continuous assessment of programs and services.
- Practice financial stewardship in continuous assessment of programs and services, and evaluate business models to identify opportunities for revenue enhancement.
- Improve AAPM operational efforts and efficiency.
Strategic Goal: Improve communication internally and externally.
- Increased communication between imaging and therapy physicists, and clinical and research physicists, and industry and government agencies.
- Improve communication with the general public.
- Promote transparency between leadership and membership.
- Coordinate communication and work function between and among Councils.
- Articulate and market the value of medical physics throughout the healthcare enterprise.
Strategic Goal: Ensure High Quality Patient Care.
- Establish AAPM and Medical Physicists as leaders in quality and safety for patient care, particularly with external groups such as hospital administrators and risk management specialists.
- Enable the sharing of clinically relevant data (e.g. trials and registries).
- Support clinical medical physicists to become more active or present in direct patient care or patient care process as appropriate.
- Support and collaborate on clinical competency and credentialling standards for and by medical physicists.
- Support the adoption of the AAPM definition of QMP and Scope of Practice by regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- Enhance necessary engagement with other members of the healthcare team.
- Promoting AAPM reports into standards of care.
Diversity and Inclusion
Strategic Goal: Champion equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in the field of medical physics.
- Evaluate EDI in the AAPM organizational structure and activities.
- Create and sustain the structure in the AAPM necessary to support the EDI strategic goal.
- Cultivate and encourage a diverse pool of trainees for entry into medical physics and the AAPM.
- Create and deliver professional and educational content that supports the importance of EDI, specifically supporting the needs of underrepresented medical physicists.
- Collaborate with other professional organizations to implement and support the commitment to EDI in the medical physics field.
- Ensure that the EDI strategic objectives and the AAPM’s core mission of advancing medicine through excellence in the science, education, and professional practice of medical physics are continually aligned.